Friday, February 22, 2008

Nagyon köszönöm! The National Archives of Hungary in English

I recently mentioned the Croatian National Archives' (Hrvatski Drzavni Arhiv) new online records search: ARHiNET. It is a great resource for those researching Croatian family history, although I'm hoping for an English version of the site (or the ability to increase my speed at learning the Croatian language).

I also recently mentioned my decision to work further on the Tóth, Németh and Nagy families of what is now Hungary's Borsod-Abauj-Zempeln county and write about this side of my family here at 100 Years in America.

How happy I was to have found the National Archives of Hungary's website, their family research webpage, their online database/finding aids webpages, and the link to their e-Archivum electronic record system. The archives has kindly created this website in English -Thank-you! Nagyon köszönöm! - although most of the links require an understanding of Hungarian. (Including the website where you can create your own Hungarian family tree.) I think the Hungarian archives' Parish Registers search feature will be most helpful to me if I can just get past the Hungarian language prompts and understand what it is I am searching through.

My foreign language studies are certainly looking imminent. I'm so glad that I can take breaks and go back to the English records of my Irish ancestors of Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Ireland when I'm feeling really lost in Hungarian or Croatian. If only my great-grandmother and my grandparents had spoken to me in these languages more often throughout my childhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For more from Lisa, visit Smallestleaf.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails