Friday, February 12, 2010

Hungary Exchange: A new stop on the web for Hungarian genealogists

A new resource for Hungarian genealogy has set up shop on the web this week.  The Hungary Exchange website, put together by Nick Gombash, hopes to become a stopping point for many a researcher in search of Hungarian roots.  Nick created this new online resource in hopes of helping Hungarian genealogists to make new connections to further their research. He writes that the "main objective of the new website will be the sharing and exchanging of records and documents". Among its amenities are a surname database where genealogists can submit names and corresponding locales of research, and an online discussion forum and message board for those researching Hungary and countries formerly part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

The Hungary Exchange website includes the following webpages:
The Hungarian Marriage Project, Databases and Surname Database pages are works in progress that are off to a good start and will become useful to more researchers as Nick adds data over time.  As Nick states on his blog, "The most important of these databases, a major project that I have undertaken, is the Hungarian Marriage Project. My plan is indexing the marriage records from pre-WWI and including them in a database. I'm hoping to eventually have help down the line, as well. I already have records from four parishes, soon to be five and with an estimated total near 5,300 marriages."

My Hungarian surnames are listed within the surname database - add yours today!  As Nick states in his announcement of Hungary Exchange on his genealogy blog, "Let's knock down all those brick-walls and find family!"

The Hungary Exchange website’s Links page includes both national and regional Hungarian resources helpful to genealogical research. It lists web addresses for archives (national archives and at least one for each county), maps and gazetteers, online databases, a Hungarian family tree website, genealogy societies, research aids/guides, translation services, and Jewish resources.

Nick Gombash was recently the subject of an edition of Gini Webb's "May I Introduce You to..." series on Thomas MacEntee's GeneaBloggers blog.  To learn more about Nick visit the article, stop by his blog, or visit his Gombash and Rodgers Family Website.

Don't forget to stop by Hungary Exchange Forum and also take a few minutes to send your Hungarian research locales and surnames to Nick for the Surname Database at Hungary Exchange.

This article has been posted as part of the Follow Friday series.  Visit Thomas MacEntee's GeneaBloggers for more suggestions for good online reading.

6 comments:

  1. I second the invitiation to join HungaryExchange.com. I have found Nick's log to be very useful in my own Hungarian genealogy research, and I'm sure the new website will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, thank you for mentioning the "May I Introduce To You...Nick Gombash" article over at GeneaBloggers. It's wonderful to see that so many connect because of it. It's a pleasure to get to know so many and share each one with the genea-blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    I just found your blog, it's very, very interesting! I'm also interested in genealogy.
    My husband is from Dalmatia in Croatia and we are living in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading your postings and want to recognize you with the Ancestor Approved award for your great work on your genealogy blog...please stop by my blog at http://wildrhodes.blogspot.com to pick up the award (meaning copy the Ancestor Approved image for use on your own blog).

    As a recipient of the Ancestor Approved Award, please list ten things you have learned about any of your ancestors that has surprised, humbled, or enlightened you and then pass the award along to ten other bloggers who you feel are doing their ancestors proud.

    You'll see my ten things and the other nine bloggers I recognized with the Ancestor Approved Award when you visit my site. I'm enjoying your genealogy journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lisa!

    It is possible that the website I found only one living in distant relatives. I'm Benczey Viola. I know only very little English. My husband and I and two gyermekemmel Hungary (Budapest) live. Is there a website to myheritage.com. My grandmother called Mary Benczey. My grandmother's father was John Benczey a secondary school was born. It is possible that siblings or cousins were. The State Benczey John's wife Theresa (of Italian descent) had. This noble land-owning family in the secondary school estate vineyard, which also lost for some reason, I Before World War. So at least I'd like to know the e-mail. nbenczeyviola@freemail.hu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lisa!

    It is possible that the website I found only one living in distant relatives. I'm Benczey Viola. I know only very little English. My husband and I and two gyermekemmel Hungary (Budapest) live. Is there a website to myheritage.com. My grandmother called Mary Benczey. My grandmother's father was John Benczey a secondary school was born. It is possible that siblings or cousins were. The State Benczey John's wife Theresa (of Italian descent) had. This noble land-owning family in the secondary school estate vineyard, which also lost for some reason, I Before World War. So at least I'd like to know the e-mail. nbenczeyviola@freemail.hu

    ReplyDelete

For more from Lisa, visit Smallestleaf.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails