Friday, April 11, 2008

Maps, maps and more maps

As I mentioned in my previous post, a picture is worth a thousand words, and maps are one of my favorite types of pictures when it comes to genealogical and historical research.

I posted earlier about the 1880 Hungarian Hátsek Ignácz atlas online. Janos Bogardi of Radixlog has suggested several more online historical map resources for Hungary. They are:

Here's one more of interest that I have used to learn more about my Hungarian ancestors' homeland: Counties of the Hungarian Kingdom (1913)

These are wonderful windows into the world of my ancestors who lived in the Austro-Hungarian empire.

Interested in maps for other parts of the world? Check out these two great sites:


Be warned - you can lose track of time as you get lost traveling the world at these sites.

Can't find what you're looking for at the above? Check out the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection's veritable library of links to other general map sites or historical map sites.

So many maps - so many windows into the world of my ancestors.

Now if only I could learn to pronounce all the names of their various towns and counties!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For more from Lisa, visit Smallestleaf.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails