Thursday, January 3, 2008

Makes me wonder what my ancestors brought over on the ship

The many American descendants of one couple who emigrated from England in 1630 have a higher chance of finding themselves facing colon cancer, say researchers at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Following the genealogy of this one family, they have determined that thousands of Americans have a link to the family, and thus a higher chance of this type of cancer, which is recognizable by genetic fingerprint.

Read the full Reuters article entitled Colon cancer risk traced to common ancestor.

Makes me wonder what my ancestors brought over with them. What about yours?

2 comments:

  1. I just wish that they'd given the immigrant's name. I had an ancestor that came over in 1630!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be interested in the post by Blaine Bettinger, the Genetic Genealogist, on the topic. He explains the study in more detail and includes a tree of the family studied. See A Single Colon Cancer Gene Traced to 1630 - The Future of Genetic Genealogy?

    ReplyDelete

For more from Lisa, visit Smallestleaf.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails