Friday, January 18, 2008

The ABCs of DNA

Interested in learning about the deep origins of your family's history?

I was wondering about the true history of the Ujlaki surname and family when I wrote the post entitled: A rose by any other name. In the case of my search for this family's history, I haven't yet exhausted archived records. I'm still working back in time to get as far back as I can with existing sources. However, I'm doubtful that they will take me further back than the mid to late 18th century.

DNA testing, on the other hand, offers an opportunity to gain an understanding of the origins of my family, who may have both Croatian and Hungarian (and possibly other) components in their genetic make-up. As the genetic genealogist Blaine Bettinger explained (in response to my posted questions), Y-DNA and mtDNA tests offer a possible opportunity to link my family to others in the same geographic area with similar "paper trails". Through this type of testing, I have the opportunity to learn more than can ever be discovered through traditional genealogical research.

If you are interested in learning more about DNA testing, visit Blaine Bettinger's The Genetic Genealogist for a good overview of what it is all about, how it is done and up to date articles about DNA testing in the news. Its amazing to think what can be learned through a simple cheek swab test!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For more from Lisa, visit Smallestleaf.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails